The cost of a funeral can be extremely varied, depending on what services are requested by the client. The funeral invoice will be split into two parts, the funeral directors own charges and the disbursements. Disbursements are expenses charged by third parties but handled by Thomas Cuthell and Sons, such as burial or cremation fees. The disbursements are required as a deposit payment in advance of the funeral taking place.
A written estimate will be provided to the client prior to the funeral taking place and the funeral invoice will follow once the funeral has passed.
As a guide we often find the funeral director’s expenses are in the region of £3,000. Sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on the client’s wishes. Over and above this would be the council’s charges for burial or cremation and third party expenses such as catering, flowers and newspaper intimations. Once these cost are added the total cost is often over £4,000.
For clients requiring the minimum of involvement from the funeral director we offer a basic funeral package.
This package includes the following;
- Making all necessary funeral arrangements and providing professional advice. This includes communication with the local authority to organise the cremation or burial. Also includes organisation and lodging of all paperwork necessary for the burial or cremation.
- Uplift and storage of the deceased at one of our funeral homes until the day of the funeral.
- Provision of a hearse on the day of the funeral
- Provision of a wood effect coffin for the cremation or burial
- Provision of a Funeral Director and necessary staff at the cremation or burial
Our charge for this package is £2,325, which does not include the charge for burial or cremation. Burial and cremation charges vary depending on the chosen venue.
We strive to be as transparent as possible with our charges, and in accordance with our trade associations, our price lists are displayed at each funeral home.
For clients struggling to find the funds for funeral arrangements we can provide guidance on keeping costs to a minimum and also information on organisations that can assist with funeral costs. Please speak to your funeral director to discuss any concerns or issues.